GAM GPL Replaces Direct Drive Motor for Significant Cost Savings
A GAM customer had an application requiring multiple configurations, zero-backlash, and a shrink disc connection. Their current solution used multiple sizes of direct drive motors and had a problem with water ingress
GAM provided a standard GPL zero-backlash planetary gearbox in a custom housing. This value-add solution features:
- Shrink disc connection integrated onto the gearbox output flange.
- Modular output housing designed with interchangeable shrink disc assemblies allows one size gearbox to replace 3 sizes of direct drive motor or gearbox.
- The GPL backlash of < 0.1 arcmin met the customer requirement.
- Added slots to allow egress of water, protecting the motor.
- The GPL solution realized significant cost savings over direct drive motors.
- Feature to drain water prevents damage to motor, increasing up-time.
- Better backlash than competitor solution.
- Hollow output not offered by competitor.
- Modular output design allows drop-in for legacy machines as well as new designs.